Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Sunday, May 10, 2015 -- Week #12 - Day #83 - San Pedro Sula

I got to skype with my family from the mission office today!
9:06 pm
Happy Mother's Day!!! To all the moms, but especially to mine; she is wonderful, and strong, and beautiful, and smart, and loving, and concerned, and involved, and spiritually powerful, and capable, and charitable, and a very hard worker, and above all she is my beloved mother.  And she loves me too, so that's amazing in and of itself.  Pretty darn awesome, if you ask me.
My wonderful Madre!




Happy Mother's Day!  I LOVE you!!
Today after our meetings the Primary children came into the Relief Society room and gathered around all the mothers and sang "Mother I Love You" and gave them these little candy and flower basket things they had made, very sweet. Made me feel all happy inside, and I could feel the sincere love these little tiny children had for their beautiful mothers.

And we got to Skype our families today!  That was pretty awesome. Our next opportunity is at Christmas. So today was pretty wonderful because of that, it was really good to see my family again after almost 3 months, I think Samuel's gotten bigger. And his voice keeps changing. But Lyndsey is getting more and more beautiful and grown up, and Daddy is his wonderfully happy self, and I was very happy to see Momma again and hear her laugh and see her smile. And it was fun to get all the latest news of what's happening with them and tell some more stuff about my mission here in Honduras. It's a blessing we can email each week, but it's always more fun to be able to converse in real-time. I love you, family!




And, lately, as I've been reading through some of the Liahona issues, I came across some talks that I really liked:

April 2015
President Monson Calls for Courage
The Power of Faith - Amber Barlow Dalal
The Spiritual Influence of Women - Starla Awerkamp Butler
It Isn't a Sin to be Weak - Wendy Ulrich
Pure Religion - W. Christopher Waddel
I Need Thee Every Hour - Jonathan H. Westover
The Savior's Selfless and Sacred Sacrifice - Boyd K. Packer
Go Forth in Faith - Anthony D. Perkins (used this in a lot of lessons)

March 2015
Satan's Rebellion - Mark A Matthews
Hold on to the Rod - Elder Ulisses Soares
When Doubts and Questions Arise - Adam Kotter
Strength Beyond Our Own - Elder David A. Bednar
Built Upon the Rock - Elder Orson F. Whitney

February 2015
Grateful for Temple Covenants - Cari Florence

I know that's a lot, and I'll probably just start including a few in my daily entries, but hopefully that should bring you up to speed. I know all the published entries in the Liahona are very good, these are just the ones that stuck out to me. Gained some new understanding from reading them.

And I also translated some more of my favorite hymns, while waiting for Hna Robles to finish Skyping her wonderful family.

#89 Para Siempre Dios este con Vos
God will always be with you;
With His voice He bears you up;
With His people He keeps you.
God will always be with you.

Until that time, until that time, until we see each other with the King, until that time, until that time, God will always be with you.

God will always be with you;
With His arms He holds you;
With His love He finds you.
God will always be with you.

Until that time, until that time, until we see each other with the King, until that time, until that time, God will always be with you.

God will always be with you;
When you become fearful,
He has you in His embrace.
God will always be with you.

Until that time, until that time, until we see each other with the King, until that time, until that time, God will always be with you.

God will always be with you;
His banner guides you;
Death does not hurt you.
God will always be with you.

Until that time, until that time, until we see each other with the King, until that time, until that time, God will always be with you.

#98 Conmigo quedate, Senor
Stay with me, Lord; the day is ending.
The night is falling and covers all.
You give dwelling to my traveling heart.
Oh, stay, Savior; the night comes.
Oh, stay, Savior; the night comes.

Stay with me, Lord; my heart burns
To walk with You today, the two in harmony,
And Your Spirit of peace will always stay with me.
Oh, stay, Savior; the night comes.
Oh, stay, Savior; the night comes.

Stay with me, Lord; and I can rest.
I entreat you to move aside the wickedness, darkness, and fear.
Give to my soul the Light that will always shine.
Oh, stay, Savior; the night comes.
Oh, stay, Savior; the night comes.

#99 AcompaƱame
Come, oh Savior; the night comes.
All is dark, and I am afraid.
There is no shelter; there is wrongdoing all around.
In the darkness, be my companion.

Swiftly life goes with hard work.
Your glory, your dreams will come to pass.
Great decadence wherever You go.
Come, oh Savior, and be my companion.

I want to always have Your grace.
Who else can conquer Satan?
Only in You will I find my Guide.
In sun and shadow, be my companion.

And a really happy one! 

#122 Cristo ha resucitado
Christ has been resurrected; Allelujah!
Today, happily hear the song: Allelujah!
With trumpets proclaim: Allelujah!
Heaven and earth sing: Allelujah!

Our King has life today; Allelujah!
And death was conquered; Allelujah!
He died to save, Allelujah!
And to conquer the tomb; Allelujah!

His love has been won; Allelujah!
He has given us redemption; Allelujah!
His agony has ended; Allelujah!
In brilliant radiance He has risen; Allelujah!

So that's my spiritual learnings from today, thought I'd share them with ya. All the Secretaries were quite interested in my translations today, they're convinced it's helping me learn Spanish faster than normal. I don't quite know what's normal, but I'm at least fairly pleased with my progress. And it is kinda neat, I could further translate them into how we would actually phrase things in English, but it takes away the "artistic poemy-ness", they have in a more raw state of translation, I think. But if they don't make sense I can refine them further.

And lastly, there's a wonderful little quote on our wall, right above our desk:
"Many times, we think "I'm going through something" is bad news, but if we view it properly, we realize "going through" is good; it means we're not stuck! Isaiah 43:2 says, "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned or scorched, nor will the flame kindle upon you". God's word here is clear: we will go through things. Let me repeat: we will go through things in life, but the things we go through are the very circumstances, challenges, and situations that make us people who know how to overcome adversity. We do not grow or become strong during life's good times; we grow when we press through difficulties without giving up. Growth is not an automatic result of difficulty. Hardships do not necessarily produce growth or strength in us: it's not that simple. We must choose the right attitude toward our challenges and refuse to quit or give up. Once we get through the adversity and challenges we face, we emerge as better people than we were when we went into them."

Thought that was a pretty neat way of looking at "going through something"...means we're moving forward and not getting stuck. Good outlook to have, I think.

Tomorrow's Pday! Yay! And then it's District Meeting, and Changes, and people go home, and then we've started another 6 weeks. Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment