Thursday, October 29, 2015

Saturday, October 24, 2015 -- Month #8 - Week #36 - Day #250 - Santa Cruz de Yojoa

Quote that I liked from my personal study of the Book of Mormon and the manual this morning: (keep in mind I'm translating from Spanish so it's not a word for word original quote)

"In the very moment when everything seems ideal, sometimes many difficulties arise simultaneously. If these trials are not the result of disobedience, they are evidence that the Lord knows that you are prepared to progress. So, He gives you experiences that stimulate your progress, your understanding and compassion and that refine you for your eternal well-being (Proverbs 3:11-12). To go from where you are to where He wants you to be is a (difficult/arduous/hard) effort that generally is accompanied by (sorrow/sadness) and pain."  Elder Richard G. Scott

Good perspective for trials, huh? I'm earning those gray hairs of mine!
Today was good, we contacted up a storm this morning, and it was really hot! I used sun block and I still got burned. And super sweaty and tired. So we drank a lot of water and hiked up some more lovely mountains to visit some lovely people who didn't want to listen to us. Love it! But we went and bought some fried chicken for lunch, so I was really happy after that. And then we went over to Villanueva with everyone for the Stake Talent Show/Culture Night to finish of la Semana de la Familia.
At the talent show in Villanueva
There were some good acts, and it was great to see the talents of everyone here. And we hopped back on the bus to go back home, and we finally got to our house, and the lights went out. So we went around and planned and ate by candlelight until the lights came back on about an hour later, so now we are currently making a shower head for our water spout in the bathroom. Hna Escobar has some wonderful engineering skills! We're poking holes with a candle-heated fork into a plastic Coke bottle, and then we'll stick it on our PVC pipe in the shower and enjoy our water! So I'll try it out tonight and give feedback on it.

Our shower head!
We also found another church this morning, this one is La Iglesia Libre de Dios Pentacostes, so we can add that to the list. I'm seriously surprised at how many church are here. Crazy.

And as we were waiting with some members for the bus to pick us up to go to Villanueva there was a somewhat drunk hermano that walked by and started talking to me, but I honestly couldn't understand him very well, mostly all I got was that the other people at the stop were supposed to take good care of the virgencita ("little virgin"...that would be me, as I look like the Virgen of Suyapa, the local Virgen, like the Virgen of Guadalupe in Mexico...every Central American country has a Virgen) and make sure I'm safe, because my eyes are so beautiful and I walk "en las cosas de Dios". And some other interesting comments. The whole episode made the members really uncomfortable and they were shocked that this was a normal experience for me out here.

Please, please, please don't drink or do drugs or other completely nonsensical and pointless things in your life. I can't tell you just how not smart that is and how you will lose so much.

But, today was a good day, nonetheless, didn't get to do as much work as we could have, but it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment