Thursday, August 27, 2015

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 -- Month #6 - Week #28 - Day #191 - Santa Cruz de Yojoa

7:14 am
Just wanted to announce to the world that the electricity and water have been going out more often, and it's annoying. Usually they cut out around mealtimes, so that's even more frustrating. Kinda hard to cook when there's no power. A lot of other people have gas or a comal, but missionaries can't have those, just the electric stoves.
And that roosters crow all day long, and into the night, as well. At all hours of the day and everywhere you can hear roosters. Almost everyone has chickens and roosters here, in the yard, in the house, in the street. Just kinda live wherever. It's fun to hear a rooster at 
11:00 pm, been a new experience.
9:37 pm
Today I still had my head cold, everyone thought I had Chikungunya this time, but it's just my nose that's the issue, none of my joints hurt and I don't have a rash. I do have a slightly raised temperature, but other than that I'm pretty much fine. Walked a tiny bit slower today, but I've been taking Tabcin and lots of water and been alright. If I'm worse tomorrow I'll rest that day, but if I get better we'll just keep on working and popping those pills. I hate being sick.

We actually only ended up teaching 1 lesson today, as no one was home, so that was fun. Did a LOT of walking today. Met some interesting people, the good and the bad thing here is that almost anyone will talk to you. Sometimes they don't really want to listen to what you say back to them, but they sure love talking. It's a little hard to extricate yourself from those situations gracefully while trying to figure out if they could actually be interested in the gospel or if you should just move on. But still be amicable and inviting. Interesting. If it was just me, I would probably leave in a lot shorter of time, but with a companion that also talks a lot, it makes for a longer experience. And I admit I was a little short of patience because I was trying to find my tissues and the sun was in my eyes and my hips hurt and the guy just wouldn't stop talking in circles. I've learned very well by now that that there is a difference between talking TO someone and talking WITH someone.
Some streets of Santa Cruz... uphill!

And full of rocks...
So, after not finding anyone, we went and gave some service to a ward member who's building his house (yes, one person can actually build a house. I actually probably could build a house, Honduran-style) with the help of his brother, so we went over and helped paint the inside walls. Thank you, Momma, for teaching me how to paint houses and color theory! He had selected a very vibrant green, like the little flowers on my sheets, kinda appley green, and a very dark foresty sort of green for the interior, originally he was going to have the front room be the lighter green, the kitchen area in the dark, and the bedroom in the lighter, but I talked him into just doing 1 wall of the kitchen in the dark with the bathroom hallway as well, and most of the kitchen in the lighter. That way the corners helps separate the colors, and there wasn't so much of the dark green that would make everything feel a lot smaller. There seems to be only the full-on strong colors of paint available, like the 12 pack of Crayola crayons...bright orange, bright teal, bright green, bright yellow, bright white, bright everything. I remembered that my Mom taught me that if you like a color on the paint chip, you gotta pick a shade or two lighter on the color strip so that it all turns out like what you actually want. Colors are important! Choose them with care! I miss my house back home with all the lovely colors there, much softer and warmer than all the shouting colors we have here.
So anyways, we got our liner brushes and started cutting in the ceiling and corners and borders of the walls and outlet plates so we can go back and use the rollers to do the walls. All without tape and floor plastic, of course, just kinda free-handing it all. And, we used latex paint, I think?  Some spots didn't really want to stick, but we'll go over them again when we do the walls, so it should turn out ok. They'll paint the bathroom with the paint they use for pools, so the humidity and stuff is fine. But yeah, just kinda straight color paint on rough concrete walls. Little different than in the states, huh, Dad?  So it should turn out very, very green, but the guy seems happy, so that's good.  I'll keep ya updated on the painting process.
Painting adventures!

Very green, right??
Hna Rosas
Outside the green house
Another Honduras thing, we don't use salt shakers. I know that's random, but it's true. You just put your salt in a container (lid is optional) and scoop it out with your fingers if you want salt. It's also not the fine-grained stuff we got back home, it's bigger, chunky stuff that sticks to your fingers, but it's not sea salt. Not quite sure how to describe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment