Thursday, August 27, 2015

Friday, August 28, 2015 -- Month #6 - Week #28 - Day #193 - Santa Cruz de Yojoa

I finally met one of the investigators that Hna Rosas and Cruz had been teaching before I got to Santa Cruz, and she's pretty awesome. She was so confused because I'm white, but I speak really good Spanish, to the point where she thought I'd grown up with the two languages, so that was fun. I often wonder what my Spanish sounds like, as compared to someone who learned to speak English. But she's super friendly and we get along well. She kept commenting every few minutes on my Spanish and kept checking to see if I understood what she said, which I did, it just made it kinda funny. People here have a habit of talking/asking questions about a person even though they're sitting right by them, and especially when I'm around. Often they'll ask about me to Hna Rosas, so by now she knows all the answers to questions about where I'm from, how old I am, how much time I've been in the mission, that I learned some Spanish before the mission, but definitely learned more in the mission, that I eat just about all the food here, and that yes, I do in fact have blue eyes and white skin. Then I get to surprise them by speaking in Spanish and they're amazed.

We also went around the block and dropped a bunch of investigators, planning on doing much of the same tomorrow. We've had these people for a while, and there is zero progress, so we'll keep on looking. It still is sad, though, it's not something we love to do, and we wish we could keep teaching them, but honestly, they're not accepting it right now. We know that we're planting seeds at least, and their time of being prepared will come and there will be great results.
Streets in Santa Cruz




More secular note, I'm getting more tan lines on my feet (did I already mention that?) so I always giggle with I look at my toes without my shoes on every night...gotta love Honduras sun!
Foot tanlines!  Pretty fantabulous, huh?
Also, some sad news. In the member's house we're living in right now there's a mother cat, and she just had 3 babies a few weeks ago. Today we went out and discovered (I actually discovered) that one of the little kittens had died. So we called the lady and asked what she would like us to do about that as she wasn't home at the time, and I took care of it. Hna Rosas couldn't bear to have anything to do with it, so I got some newspaper and wrapped it up so she didn't have to see it until we got things taken care of. Turns out that she has never seen a dead animal or person, and doesn't like dead things. She was also amazed that I could stomach doing everything. Though to be honest it wasn't that hard. After studying animal and human anatomy in school and labs, bodies aren't that hard to see like that. Naturally I don't particularly enjoy that sort of stuff, but it doesn't necessarily bother me. It's more sad, than anything. Poor little guy. So yeah, that made for an interesting afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment