Friday, June 12, 2015

Monday, June 1, 2015 -- Week #15 - Day #105 - San Pedro Sula

10:18 pm
Today was a day of supreme gringo-ness...I don't know where my mind was today, but I basically forgot how to function correctly over here in Honduras. Almost walked into traffic a multitude of times, knocked over a display, almost tripped on the escalator, forgot how to order my lunch in Spanish, and also forgot the PIN to my debit card and E Markus wouldn't be in the office until later, so I currently have about 6 lemps on me. And all our citas fell through, so we ended up visiting Carlos and Karina. And I was really thirsty all today and had a slight headache. 

But, we did celebrate E Lyon's birthday, so we went over to the house of Hna Fidelina (the matriarch of the family we moved the other day) and had some cake to celebrate the advent of our district leader. E Comin pushed E Lyon's face in the cake, and he got a lovely frosting beard. Although it was actually something like Cool Whip, as they don't use frosting here. Interesting. But still delicious!

Also, I finally learned what a.m. and p.m. mean: ante-meridian and post-meridian, as in the division of the day's time in the middle. Pretty neat.

And I think I accidentally flushed our pet gecko down the toilet...I feel really bad. That would be a horrible death. I was cleaning the bathroom for Pday this morning and I guess he didn't like me scrubbing around everything else in the bathroom (as that's his usual living area) and sought refuge in the toilet, but then I finished up everything else and did the toilet last, and flushed all the soap and stuff from cleaning it, and he came scrambling around the bowl and fell back into the spray of water and disappeared. So that made me a little sad this morning. Hna Robles jokingly said that now we adhere to the guidelines in our Missionary Handbook of not having pets of any kind, but she's also a little sad that he's gone. Poor little guy.

And during lunch they played what I think was a remix of "This Is How We Roll" by Florida Georgia Line, and it was so weird. You can't turn Country into Pop or whatever it was. Just ain't right.

So today was really weird, lots of strange things happening. Hopefully tomorrow makes more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment