Thursday, June 25, 2015

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 -- Week #17 - Day #113 - San Pedro Sula

10:15 pm
Weirdest case on the mission that Hna Robles has had: an elder was ironing his shirt for the day and was leaning on his arm, like the palm of the hand on his cheek and the elbow on the bed, I'd imagine, and then he sneezed and popped his shoulder out of joint (the arm he was leaning on). That surprised me, actually, but I guess it makes physical sense. Gotta be careful when you sneeze, huh?

And random fact from Honduras, I would say that a majority of the names here from somewhere in the Bible. And the other 30% are "American" names or whatever, but pronounced with a very Spanish accent.  Jyea-sohn, Paht-ti, Seen-tia = Jason, Patty, Cynthia. Makes for a fun spelling game, too, as sometimes they're spelled phonetically, or in the original English spelling. Fun, right?
Us with David before his baptism, little cutie, he's 9 years old and super super super smart, he's nicknamed the "Chilito" because he's very fair and a lot of Chileans are lighter as well. We have a lot of nicknames for stuff to identify people, and it's very common to describe someone as fat or skinny as well.
I also encountered my first hand towel since I've been here, that was a shocker. We went to David's house to finish up the lessons, and I asked to use the restroom. As I was washing my hands, lo and behold, there was a hand towel. So cool. Usually we have to drip dry everything, I felt so gringo right then. Gonna be weird when I go back to hand towels and bath mats and hot water and shower curtains and artwork on every wall and carpet and granite counter tops and vacuums and dishwashers and drinkable water from a chrome faucet. Sounds like our houses are castles in the land of paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment