Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 -- Month #12 - Week #57 - Day #394 - El Dorado, La Entrada, Copan

Today was actually a really good day, we did a lot of contacting and I got sunburned (I put sun block on and just sweat it off...and I'm white so I get burned. Nothing serious as it goes away the next morning, but it makes everyone freak out and they make a million comments about how I got sun burned that day. And the next day is the same and so on and so forth. I honestly wonder when people are going to start noticing that my being pink and sunburned is a common occurrence). But I'm drinking lots of water and keeping up on my nutrition more or less, so I'm alright.
Walking around our area...


"A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance" Proverbs 15:13
This morning was really hot, with a very strong sun so that was fun. And all our contacts pretty much rejected us up front. Although to be honest I do prefer honest rejection than dragging people by the arm to get them to the Church. And it all happens in time. It's just not their time right now.

But then we had a really good lunch, so that made everything better and we were happy. And we went home and took a short nap. Even better!

Took off again in the afternoon, went looking for people and contacting, and then went to the church to meet up with the people we were supposed to leave with to visit some less-actives. Nobody was there, so we bought an orange juice and hauled ourselves over to Wilmer's house to go find out where he was and what was happening. Found him, and we left to do the visits. Then we had to run by the house to pick up the skirts we're going to lend to the Relief Society so they can do their dance on Saturday, ran through the choreography again, and finally got ourselves home.

Hna Cruz and I then had an hour-long discussion about molecules and transfusion and muscles and water intake and everything, so she has a better idea of what happens in your body when it gets tired from walking around in the sun all day. So that was a nice biology refresher, I felt smart again.

And we talked some more about the area and branch and some things that we want to get better about doing, and planned everything and now I'm chilling in the hammock writing and Hna Cruz is happily washing clothes in her 2 buckets. Long day, and we are so tired!

But this evening as we were walking to the church, we saw a line of fire on the mountain and thought the world was ending.

The crazy fire in the night... with Hobbits and dragons and Time Lords!

Well, not actually, but I thought of the Nephite destruction sequence "The Testaments" (we don't get to watch a lot of movies on the mission, it's the first one I thought of with reference to fire) and then I was thinking, "You know, there's a song about fire on the mountains... Right! Ed Sheeran with the Hobbit movies!" And starting trying to hum the song's melody. But I was also confused because the line seemed to be in the sky, since it was dark and you couldn't see the mountain, just this flaming jagged line in the sky, it seemed, so I also remembered that in Doctor Who there's this thing called "the crack" or something like that, and the line's shape reminded me of that, so then I thought it's a fiery Time Lord crack floating in the Honduran sky and it's the end of the world with hobbits and dragons fighting all around to "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran. Yeah, I think I was a little low on blood sugar at that point. But the fact is, with all the heat it makes everything drier so it's more prone to fire and somehow it caught and started making its way down the mountainside. So that was the exciting event of today. Our minds can get very creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment