Thursday, July 28, 2016

Sunday, July 24, 2016 -- Month #17 - Week #75 - Day #524 - Las Flores, Villanueva, Cortes

"Each of us can make a difference."
- Henry B. Eyring
Today was crazy. Sundays are always weird and almost never go to plan. But that's alright, it ended up being a good day.

We taught an evangelical guy that I don't think understood anything we taught him. But we used the Bible to teach about the characteristics of the Church that Christ established, so he was happy. He told us that his friend that apparently knows a lot about the Bible and history told him that there are a lot of churches because Constantine the Great made all the people in the Roman empire worship a bunch of statues of himself, but Martin Luther didn't like that, so he separated from Constantine's church, but then Constantine ordered Martin's death because Martin was against Constantine. And that's why we have so many churches today. But it's a good thing, because more people can hear the Word of God, according to their self-proclaimed pastor. Yeah. (Just FYI to those who don't know much about religious or world history, for that matter, Constantine the Great lived around 300 AD, and Martin Luther in the late 1400 AD. I love the logic on this.)
And I'm working on a little pencil drawing as a present for when I go.  Mrs. Kuntz will die because I used a mechanical pencil. But it's turning out alright!
And we received a WHOLE ton of references, so we're happy! We have people to go find and teach! Now the fun part is actually finding them, because the addresses here aren't really good. "You know that one bridge (there's like 4 or 5 in our area) that goes to that one part of Villanueva? Well right on the side, under the bridge, lives this family in a house that's not painted a color (that's really important for us to be able to identify houses). And no, they don't have a phone. But go find them!" It's fun. You need to learn patience and perseverance when trying to find people.
A little cut-through in our area that we discovered.
I also forgot how to say "mango" in English.  It's cuz the sound the "A" makes is really weird because it doesn't do that in Spanish. Here we say "MAH-ngoh".

Also, the Bishops's 10 year old daughter, Osiris, really liked my messy bun and asked how I did it. So I showed her how to make a wad of hair on your head. She was very impressed.

A contact also thought that I was from Spain. Although I do not in any way have a Spanish accent. Sometimes I drop the "S" like they do here, but I don't throw in a "TH" sound. I think they thought that for my coloring and because I spoke Spanish to them. When they figured out that I was from the States, they thought Hna Vasquez was from there as well and that she didn't say much because she didn't know Spanish yet. The great thing about a mission is that you get to laugh everyday. People say funny things.

And we had baleadas for dinner! Been a while since I had a baleada. Although we had them last week with Ruth, but it still feels like a while. I'm gonna have to make them at home. Flour, shortening, salt, baking powder, water...

And we're ready for Pday! Hna Vasquez's legs hurt from all the walking we did, but we're not doing any activities tomorrow, so she can rest.

And we found a giant Ceiba tree again!Hna Vasquez says that it's the national tree of Guatemala.

No comments:

Post a Comment