Thursday, February 18, 2016

Monday, February 15, 2016 -- Month #11 - Week #52 - Day #364 - El Dorado, La Entrada, Copan

Today was Pday! And we stayed home because we're both sick. I still don't have my voice back, and we were still really tired from doing divisions. So we washed clothes, cleaned the house, went and wrote our families, and bought a little food. Also, fun news, we don't have money. As in, there's no money in the mission accounts to withdraw for our quincenas (the 2000 lemps we take out on the 15th and 30th of every month). It's gonna be hard to figure out how to travel for divisions or buy food with no money. So of course, we called the financial secretary and he said that there wasn't money in this or the SPS Este mission, but that it should be deposited on Wednesday. So we'll just hang in there until then. I pulled out money from my personal account so I'm fine. It's hard because everything is dealt with in cash here, there's no credit cards. So if you don't have money in your hand, you can't buy anything.

But, we're fine. We also did a visit with a less-active family, and they always give us baleadas for dinner. Really sweet people, I love them. So that made for a fun day. There was finally sun today! So we were happy for that.

Fun comment: you'll remember from pictures of our house that we have 2 metal folding chairs and a blue plastic chair...that one is mine! But I like it because it's not cold, you can lean back comfortably, it's a little higher in the seat (for my REALLY long legs, of course) and (my favorite part) you can rock it forward and balance on the front 2 legs when you sit. So that's always how I sit, balancing like that. I could never do that at home because it would ruin the joints of the chairs, but I don't really think it's gonna hurt a beat up plastic lawn chair. But it's funny because Hna Cruz always looks over and thinks I'm gonna fall!  Hna Mora also made a comment about my balancing habit. And I can balance pretty far forward at well. In Santa Cruz I'd always lean way back in the plastic folding chair and rest my knees on the table, but that's kinda hard to do in my current chair, so I'm leaning forward now.

And, another interesting thing: I like reading about the Ten Commandments in Spanish, because it's written in the "tu" form of Spanish and it's a more familiar way of speaking than "thee-thou-thy" in English. So the Commandments as found in Mosiah 12 and 13 would be (normal speech translated version)

1. You will not have other gods before me.
2. You will not make any graven image, nor any likeness of something above in the heavens, or on the earth below.
3. You will not take the name of the Lord your God in vain because the Lord will not hold someone innocent if they take His name in vain.
4. Remember the Day of Rest so it may be sanctified...
5. Honor your father and mother, so that your days are prolonged on the earth that the Lord your God gives you.
6. You will not kill.
7. You will not commit adultery.
8. You will not steal.
9. You will not speak false testimony against your neighbor.
10. You will not lust after (covet) the house of your neighbor...

Some of the commandments are a few verses long, so I shortened them. But the point is, that it sounds a lot more like a parent giving instructions to their children when you switch the form to how we speak nowadays. Which is basically what the Ten Commandments are. And they are for our protection. Kinda neat, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment