Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Thursday, April 21, 2016 -- Month #14 - Week #62 - Day #430 - El Dorado, La Entrada, Copan

April is going by kinda fast. March was really slow for me, but this month is gonna finish soon.

Today was interesting, we ran all over the place like crazy people, listening to lots of crazy people say a lot of crazy things. Love it.
And we found a "Beauty Saloon" with the latino spelling of my mom's name!
But we did get to do our Weekly Planning, so that was important, and we had lunch, where we ate cow tongue. That was the first time in my life that I ate that. The whole time I was trying to figure out what muscle of a cow is symmetrical, somewhat circular, big, and had very fine muscle groups. But I decided not to ask until afterwards. Honestly, it was very well prepared and not obviously a cow tongue on your plate, so I was impressed with Hna Ana and her cooking skills. It was very clean and well-cooked and the guisado sauce tasted better than normal. So I think I could actually eat it again if I needed to. But I can add that to the list of interesting foods I've eaten as a missionary, right up there with fish eyeballs and chicken livers. Mmm!

Then we went over to another member family and shared a message with them and they gave us green mango juice. It tasted like a cross between limonada and grass. Very planty tasting, but sort of tangy and sweet. I thought it was good, Hna Cruz loves it. You just take a bunch of green mango's, wash them and take out the seed, and blend them up with some water and sugar. Leaves lots of little mango skin bits all over. But it's good. Also goes on my foods I've tried list.

And we visited another member family and listened to the grandma talk for quite a while about a range of topics, and then we steered the conversation back to the message we were sharing. We didn't eat or drink anything there.

Then we went and found another member family that is somewhat inactive that is living next to an active member family that he dad is one of the brothers of other members in our branch (they gave us the reference) so we had an interesting visit with them. Good people, just kinda stressed me out with all the noise of children running around and flickering single-bulb lights and the Evangelical church literally right next door having music practice. But we were able to get to know them a little and share a short message with them. We'll come back on a day where it's a little calmer.

And then we finished up the night with a Relief Society fireside, basically, so that was nice. The Evangelicals kept on practicing the whole time, but we were able to hear the message that was shared and we all felt all warm and fuzzy afterwards. And that was our day.

But, apparently God only made the pretty things when He created the world, and Satan made the frogs and snakes and icky things because they are bad. Which is not true, because God made all things with a purpose, and Satan is not capable of creating things, let alone life in the form of an animal, even if you think it is ugly.

And the fact that my name is in English and not Spanish still confuses people. Not every single thing about a person gets translated over when you serve teaching in a different language. And it's actually the English version of a German last name, so that's even more confusing because then they think that I'm from Germany and not the States. And the pronunciation is a whole other thing. It's cuz in Spanish you actually try to follow the rules with spelling and it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever that the "O" can make an "OW" sound when it obviously should make an "OH" sound. And it's a rare time when a word uses a "W", so that makes everything more complicated. Add the fact that I have blue eyes, and I'm just a walking oddity. Imagine that. But it does make for interesting contacts and conversations, so I guess it's helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment