Monday, July 27, 2015

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 -- Week #23 - Day #156 - San Pedro Sula

Hna Robles didn't recognize what Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen was, and I was shocked!  But she's gonna go look it up and get a translation of the lyrics when she goes home. Good stuff, classic rock, always reminds me of my dad, who is also awesome. But, Hna Robles likes Bruno Mars (some of his songs) and really likes the style of how he dances. So that was kinda fun to learn about her.

Also learned a new word today: "murcielagos," or bats. I saw my first bats here tonight as we were waiting for Iris and Alonso to get home so we could teach them. There were about 3 or 4 murcielagos, I think, swooping around and doing their bat stuff. They were brown, and looked like their wingspan was about a foot and a half. Made me think of the bat bridge in Austin.
Since we know a lot of the taxi drivers really well, there's a running joke between us that I'm from Santa Barbara, since there's a lot of fair-skinned, light-eyed people there. Maybe as I get further along in my Spanish I can start introducing myself as being "patepluma" (the nickname of Santa Barbarans, like catracho for Hondurenan, chapin for Guatemalan). But they always ask how my family's doing over in Santa Barbara and what news is happening over there, it's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment