Monday, May 30, 2016

Friday, May 27, 2016 -- Month #15 - Week #67 - Day #466 - El Dorado, La Entrada, Copan

Divisions in Santa Rosa!! I went with Hna Mendoza, Hna Cruz went with Hna Phillips.
Also interesting day, as all our citas fell and we were really busy getting ready for an activity the missionaries were in charge of in the night (I shredded 3 pounds of cheese. I'm awesome at that). So we didn't actually teach that much. But we did get some contacting in.

But in our wanderings today we knocked a house (we could actually touch the door because it was in a residential area...we still yelled buenas, just in case) and we then had an hour-long discussion with a white person from the States and his Columbian friend about the Book of Mormon, how the Holy Ghost works, and the Plan of Salvation. That was interesting. And really weird to talk in English. I didn't think I could do it, but I did. Granted, it was more of a Q&A thing than actually teaching a full, organized sequence of events as a lesson, but it was still a special experience for me. Turns out that they were missionaries from Mission Upreach and they'll be there for 2 years (although Matthew became a supervisor or something so he'll be there for 5) and everything that we said was new and different for them as they had never heard about any of this in their studies of the Bible. So they were really hesitant. And the Columbian was just wanting to fight and was asking a whole bunch of questions that made literally no sense. Even Matthew got confused by him. But Matthew was very calm and tried to think through everything we were discussing. So that was good. But it was strange to talk in English because it was like when I talk/listen in Spanish, there's sort of a film over my understanding, like looking and hearing through Saran wrap, and in English it's like it was taken away and I could see and hear way more clearly. Which made me feel more vulnerable, to be honest, which was odd. But I was even more sure of myself when I testified of the Gospel and it's truth. We couldn't show them every Bible verse that backed up everything we said, but we taught them about prayer and the Holy Ghost. All in a mix of English and Spanish, but towards the end the majority was English because the Columbian backed out and we focused on Matthew. Hna Mendoza can read and listen to English and understand almost perfectly, she just has a hard time speaking it. So she didn't feel so left out and made her comments in Spanish. So I would say that that whole experience was interesting and the first time that I had talked about the Gospel in English to a white person in Honduras. There ya go!

No comments:

Post a Comment